Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Summer Lovin'

>> June 23, 2010

Lately I’ve been in a fierce berry craving mode, I don’t know if it’s the sun and the warmer weather or the fact that the markets are bursting with these beauties everywhere. Either way, I got berry on the brain.

I found some gorgeous blackberries last week and decided to whip them into an ice cream with my new best friend!
Please welcome Darla!

Darla entered my life only a few weeks ago and we’re quickly becoming great friends. Especially since she helps me whip out awesome ice creams like Blackberry, and Cheesecake w. Blueberry Lime Swirl – I mean hello!

The blackberry ice cream is really simple to make, but I must warn it’s not a one-bowl recipe by a long shot. I may have used every bowl I own, but it was definitely work the dishes!


Excuse me while I induce a brain freeze




Blackberry Ice Cream
(adapted from the
Master)
2 Pints of Blackberries (preferably fresh)
Juice from ½ Lemon
1 ¼ cup of Sugar (divided into 1 cup and ¼ cup)
1 ½ cup Half-and-Half
5 large Egg Yolks
1 ½ cup Heavy Cream

Combine blackberries, ¼ cup of sugar and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook over low heat, covered and stir occasionally for 20 – 25 minutes until the berries have cooked down and formed a lovely juice! Strain the cooked berries into a bowl and press the berries through the sieve to get as much juice out of them as possible. Set aside to cool.

Combine half-and-half and remaining sugar in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to almost a boil.

While the half-and-half is heating, beat the egg yolks until they are pale yellow and slightly thickened. Temper the eggs with the half-and-half mixture by slowly adding 1 cup of the half-and-half whisking constantly.

Once the eggs have been tempered, add them into the remaining half-and-half in the saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened. Strain the custard into a bowl and stir in the heavy cream.

Add the blackberry juice to the custard mixture and stir to combine. Chill the mixture completely in the refrigerator over night and then freeze in an ice cream maker until thick.

Once the ice cream maker is finished making its’ magic, you can enjoy soft serve ice cream or freeze the ice cream in the freezer for a few hours until firm.

buon appetito! ciao!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP