Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Victory Gardending...or Lack Thereof

>> July 6, 2010

I don’t know if it’s the unrelenting, oppressive summer heat that continues to sweep across Georgia (well the majority of the country it seems) right now, but whatever it is I can’t help but think about gardening? Which is quite strange because I don’t have a garden and my feeble attempts with a few tomato plants, bell peppers, and assorted herbs in the past was pathetic at best. Not to mention the fact that my puppies steal tomatoes and peppers when they’ve reached golf ball size and leave them half-chewed and strewn amongst the yard.



But oh, it gets better. I’m not talking about planting a few flower beds, or growing a few vegetables. I have been stricken with the desire to grow a
victory garden. Yes, a victory garden. Victory Gardens began during World War I as a way to help the war effort by decreasing the amount food consumed from the public food supply and to boost morale within the communities because of empowerment and comradery.


Besides having any number of beautiful fruits and veggies within arm’s reach of my kitchen (aka my mouth), I find these gardens to be very idyllic. The nostalgia brings a certain level of charm and romanticism that I just can’t get enough of.




The initial inspiration for a victory garden came from WORC. I had never heard of a victory garden prior to reading their blog – and have since found myself somewhat fixated on the idea. Unfortunately, apartment living isn’t conducive to building a victory garden or gardening in general for that matter. So until I find myself in a place where I can begin my garden, I will continue to drool. What about you – do you enjoy gardening?


Oh, and don't even get me started on greenhouses...








0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP